Thursday, May 1, 2014

Band Of the Day: HAIM

Hello Sunshiners! Happy May and Thursday, completely love the fact that rhymed!

Todays BAND OF THE DAY is Haim


If you've never heard of them then listen up because they are literally the shizz (yes I'm sure that's a word) and are the coolest girls on the block. First, though, it's not pronounced "Hime" or "Hame" it's "High-im", that's a need to know!

The three sisters grew up in the San Fernando Valley and first started rocking out back in the day with their parents in the band Rockinhaim, yeah that's right they were in a band with their parents when they were just kids! Cool from the start.

The sister duo are Este Arielle (born March 14, 1986), Danielle Sari (born February 16, 1989) and Alana Mychal Haim (born December 15, 1991) have been playing as Haim for about 7 years, taking them until recently to have their album out.


They've toured with Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, Mumford & Sons, Florence & the Machine, and the xx, but are now best known for their hit "Falling". Their sound is described as folk-rock with R&B/Hip-Hop styles, but after talking with a friend, we both decided their sound is best describe as cool. That's it.

You listen to their voices and just are transported to a chill day by the river or are brought back to the 70's era. Their style also makes you kind of back up and say, "wow, we got some bad asses here", because their presence screams "I just woke up like this". They can honestly do no wrong and their personalities are even better, even though Alana told www.spin.com:

 "I've tried to be a cool, aloof person, and it's just not me. I couldn't do it. I giggle at fart jokes. I trip all the time. I'm just not that person."

If you've never listened to them then I recommend listening to "Falling" and then "Days Are Gone" first just to test the waters and listen to this brilliant group of girls! I think one of the coolest things about them is seeing them on stage, especially Este's bass face, it literally makes you want to laugh, but then do the same thing! They just rock in their leather jackets and long hair like studs.


 Their influence on me has been great, whether its the way I've been walking lately or the way I talk about music, I've been inspired by them! They also haven't been just couch potatoes, Este went to UCLA, worked at the Cheesecake Factory, and use to be a hairdresser! Danielle has also been roaming the music scene for awhile in different bands until they finally decided to create Haim.

They make you feel like you know them and can just kick back with them. Plus their sisterly bond is amazing!

I really admire the music scene for female artists lately, although I love my Katy Perry and Britney Spears, lately I just feel like these indie cool chicks that just have so much talent are really taking over and it feels like girl power is just rocking! Plus now I feel like I need to reevaluate the word "indie".

I just recently put them into my playlist on https://play.spotify.com/user/alexasunshine83 for Tracks Inspiring Me: Week of 4/27 (all the songs I'm digging this week) so definitely check that out because I also have some other bands/songs that you may want to put on your playlist as well!

Hope you guys enjoyed this posts and I might start doing Bands Of the Day or Songs Of The Day because music is such a big part of my life and why wouldn't I want to blog about it!

Also make sure to follow me on https://play.spotify.com/user/alexasunshine83 and let me know of any bands you're rocking to as well!

Oh and bare with me on my spotify music right now, I'm new so it may take awhile to get me all use to it!

HAVE A SUNNY DAY SUNSHINERS <3

No comments:

Post a Comment